The story of Olivia Hope

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Our little bunny


We found this little bunny last week in our backyard. Actually Winnie, our playful golden retriever, found her. I say playful because that is exactly what Winnie did, she played with it. Unfortunately Win's idea of playing was carrying the poor little thing around in her mouth, rolling on it and even tossing it up in the air all resulting in injuring it. I didn't know what was going on until I heard loud squeaking coming from down in the yard. I saw Winnie playing and I thought she had a toy down there until I saw something moving in the grass. Of course I ran down there as fast as I could and rescued the little cutie but not before Winnie did some major damage to it. I couldn't really punish her, she had no clue and was really not trying to hurt it, she was just having fun.
I couldn't tell at first that it was hurt. I knew it was old enough to be out of the nest so I brought it up on the porch to show Gwen. After awhile it tried to walk away and I could see that it was hurt. For some reason all I could think about was Olivia. I noticed swelling in the bunny's abdomen I knew that it was really hurt and would probably die. I didn't know what to do so I put it in a cozy box that I made up and left it alone for awhile to see what would happen.
The more time that went by the more I thought about Olivia and I really needed to do anything I could for this little helpless bunny. Even if nothing could be done I had to make the best effort.
I did some research and after awhile found a wildlife rehabilitation center in the area so Gwen and I packed up and took our little patient to the "bunny hospital"! What an amazing place! It was a full house with volunteers all over feeding squirrels, bunnies and all sorts of small critters. Outside were big cages with owls, hawks, vultures and some other large birds that were being cared for. Gwen loved it!
The women behind the counter told us it didn't look good for "Olivia bunny". She thought maybe a lower intestine puncture. (Nice job, Winnie...) I was just so happy to have found someone who would do their best even if nothing could be done.
I don't know why I thought about Olivia. Even now I think it's kinda silly. I just know that God loved that bunny and He loved my daughter even more.

3 comments:

  1. It reminds me of:
    "Your steadfast love, O LORD, extends to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds.
    Your righteousness is like the mountains of God; your judgments are like the great deep; man and beast you save, O LORD." Psalm 36:5-6

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't silly at all. It's the nurturing mother in you. And you're passing your loving nature onto Gwen.
    Lord Bless You!
    Nancy
    PS Thank you for introducing yourself to me at the bookstore. I was so happy to be able to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for continuing your blog. I pray for you often. Grief is a strange but healing thing. In it, keep looking to see God's glory.
    Love you,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete